Skip to content

Medications and Vaccinations

Prescription Medications

While you’re abroad is not the time to suddenly realize you ran out of your prescription! If you have a condition that requires regular medication, bring an extra quantity with you and pack it in your carry-on, just in case your checked luggage gets lost. Just remember to keep it in its original container and clearly labeled — you don’t want to create the impression you’re carrying drugs which haven’t been prescribed to you. In fact, you should check with the local embassy to make sure that your medication is acceptable to carry into the country. Some countries may consider your prescription medication to be illegal. Bring a letter from your doctor listing your medications and explaining why you need them. Doing your research and having a letter can help prevent any misunderstandings along the way.

Make arrangements with your family doctor and insurance company so that you will have the necessary supply of your medication. Check with the airline and your host country’s Embassy or Consulate for specific restrictions about bringing medications into the country.

Vaccinations for Foreign Travel

How important is it to do your research about vaccinations? It might just save your life! Make yourself aware of the different types of vaccinations and which ones you may need to travel to your destination. Schedule an appointment with your doctor at least four to six weeks before you travel to ensure you receive all important vaccinations including routine, recommended and required.

The following are sources of information about whether or not you need any vaccinations or preventive medications to enter your host country:

  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention maintains a list of recommended vaccinations for other countries
  • Your family doctor
  • Washburn University Student Health Services 785-670-1029
  • The host country's Embassy or Consulate in the U.S.

No vaccinations are required to return to the U.S., but after returning, you might want to consult your family doctor for a general examination.