Skip to content

WU Study Abroad Insurance

Maybe it’s not the first thing that comes to mind when planning your trip, but uninsured travelers who encounter medical emergencies overseas often face extreme difficulties. Most U.S. medical insurance plans do not include coverage outside of the United States. Getting medical treatment and hospital care abroad can be very expensive, and, if you need it, a medical evacuation back to the U.S. can cost more than $50,000!

For all WU programs, the program cost for study abroad includes supplemental medical insurance for international travel provided by T.W. Lord and Associates. Before your departure, Office of International Programs will automatically submit your information to the insurance company. You do not need to complete any paperwork to be enrolled in the policy.  You will receive a copy of the insurance policy brochure at orientation and an insurance card prior to the start of the program. The plan includes reimbursable Health Coverage (meaning you pay for the health costs upfront, submit a claim form, and then are refunded if the claim is approved). The plan also includes Emergency Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance as well as Worldwide Assistance Network.

  • Worldwide Assistance Services From within the US and Canada: 800-243-6124
  • Worldwide Assistance Services Outside the US and Canada: international collect 202-331-1596 

Dates of Coverage

The dates of coverage are the program dates. If you are planning to travel before or after the program and would like additional coverage for this timeframe, then you may contact T.W. Lord and Associates directly to sign up for additional days for $1.00 per day. Students are responsible for paying for any additional coverage beyond the duration of the academic program.

Reporting an Incident

If you have an incident while abroad, please complete the following WU Study Abroad Incident Report Form, save it to your computer and send as an email attachment to

If you have incurred medical expenses due to an injury or accident, please complete the following claim form, attach receipts, and mail to the address indicated on the form.